POLICY ON INTERNSHIPS
San Francisco State University, 1600 Holloway Ave., San Francisco, CA 94132
The Journalism Department has established the following policy on internships for which
majors and minors can receive credit through Jour. 409-Directed Study in Journalism.
1) A Student may enroll in Jour.409 for credit for an internship only with
approval of faculty adviser.
2) Grading will be on a credit/no credit basis for internships.
3) Internships-for-credit are limited to majors and minors in journalism, and they
must be taken in print, online or broadcast journalism. Credit will not be
given for internships in public relations or advertising.
4) Intern must work a minimum of 12 hours per week for at least 14 weeks in
5) An internship may continue for no more than one semester. The internship
may occur during the fall or spring semester, or during the summer, but the
student may receive credit for only one internship. The credit may be delayed
for one semester (to save the cost for summer units or to start one at midsemester.)
6) The intern must keep a journal about the internship program, write a letter to
the adviser evaluating the internship, provide clips (if reporter or
photographer) and ask supervisor for letter of evaluation at the end of the
-- Policy adopted May 10, 1989